Monday, August 1, 2011

The FIrst Time ...

We were getting ready to make the trip to Las Vegas.  My brother, Gene and his then-girlfriend, Rose decided to join us.  We got out there and visited all of the usual places.  Sharon and I stopped to get our Marriage License.  I remember being in line waiting with her and saw all of the different people waiting to get their licenses as well.  We seemed so out of place.  There were couples dressed as Elvis and other celebrities as well as some really outrageous costumes.  Sharon and I were wondering what we were doing there. I remember we both looked at each other and just started to laugh.  But we reminded ourselves of what our reason for being there was.  So despite the circus, we forged ahead.  Afterwards, we scheduled our appointment at the Wedding Chapel and then we visited the various shops with my brother, Gene and his girlfriend.  That evening we went to Jaime's Family party.  Sharon really enjoyed parties and asian food.  We had a nice evening together.

That evening, I was contemplating the next day.  It was a big step for us and it seemed strange that we wouldn't have everyone there with us.  But I knew that I have waited all my life for her and there was no one else I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.  That day was pretty hectic.  We were getting ready and I could tell that Sharon was a bit tense.   I was getting ready and she wanted me to get her bouquet at that precise moment.  I told her that I would do it in a little while and she told me to get it right away or she wouldn't go through with it.  So I bit my tongue and went to pick it up.  When I got back she apologized and kissed me.  We finished getting ready and finally arrived at the Chapel.  We took some pictures outside with my brother, Gene.  We were both there at the chapel with my brother and his girlfriend as our witnesses.  I remember standing there thinking that I had to be dreaming, that this too good to be true.   We were gazing at each other during the ceremony.  I couldn't take my eyes off of her.  I guess we were so oblivious to the person performing the ceremony.  Neither of us  looked at him until he pronounced us husband and wife.  I don't think either of us would ever forget what he did.  He looked at both of us and said, "Cesar. Sharon".  Then he puckered his lips and made the kissing sound.  The weird thing was that neither of us had noticed until then how old he was and that he reminded us of the guy from "Haunted Mansion".  But nothing could have ever ruined that day for either of us.  We were now husband and wife.  I was with the one person that I was meant to spend the rest of my life with.

No comments:

Post a Comment